• A: In 2015-16, the average GPA among DEP students was a 3.4, earned in an average of 20 credit hours. DEP students as a group do exceptionally well.

  • A: Yes. Each 3- or 4-credit college course equals 1 Carnegie unit. A student needing 1 unit of high school English in his or her senior year of high school would only need to take one semester of college English to satisfy the high school graduation requirement.

  • A: Yes. You must choose courses from the Dual Enrollment Course Directory in the DEP Advising Handbook. If you choose a course that is not on the Dual Enrollment-approved list, you will be responsible for paying the tuition for that course.

  • A: Yes, for HOPE purposes; possibly for high school GPA purposes.

    For HOPE: Effective Fall 2013, the Georgia Student Finance Commission will award an extra .50 weighting to grades for courses taken in Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) and dual enrollment, up to a maximum of a 4.00 grade. It is possible to maximize your HOPE GPA by taking all dual enrollment courses or by taking a combination of AP, IB and dual enrollment courses, all which receive the extra .50 weight.

    For high school GPA: Every school district sets its own policy for awarding extra quality points for dual enrollment courses on the high school transcript. Cobb, Cherokee, Fulton and other school districts allow for extra quality points. Check with your counselor to see criteria for your school district.

  • A: You will need to set up a meeting to provide documentation to Student Disability Services by calling (470) 578-2666. Accommodations such as testing in a quiet room, longer time periods for testing, and recording lectures are common.

  • A: No. The DEP office will do this automatically for every DEP student.

  • A: KSU reports only letter grades. Each school district has its own conversion policy for converting these letter grades to numeric grades for the high school transcript. See the DEP Advising Handbook or your high school counselor for more specific information.

  • A: We don’t recommend that DEP students take online courses. Experiencing a college classroom environment is one of the benefits of DEP.  Dual Enrollment students may take hybrid courses, which meet one day a week and have other online learning components.

  • A: If you need this class to meet high school graduation requirements, you will need to contact your high school counselor immediately to discuss your options for fulfilling the graduation requirement. If you do not need the course OR the credits for graduation, you may wish to withdraw prior to the “last day to withdraw from a class without academic penalty,” as published by the Registrar’s Office Academic calendar. You must notify your counselor and set up an appointment with your DEP advisor to complete the Permission to Withdraw form.

  • A: Yes. Your initial HOPE eligibility is determined by the grades on your high school transcript, which includes your dual enrollment grades. Remember that HOPE will add .50 weighting to all dual enrollment course grades. Once you have graduated from high school, if your HOPE GPA is a 3.0 or higher, you will receive HOPE. Your HOPE GPA will then reset to “0” and only those grades earned after high school graduation will count toward future eligibility. However, if you graduate from high school and fall short of a 3.0 and do not initially receive HOPE, your dual enrollment grades will be included in the 30-credit hour checkpoint at which students are re-evaluated for HOPE eligibility. This policy, set by the Georgia Student Finance Commission, is intended to help students reach the 30-credit hour checkpoint sooner. However, if your DEP grades are poor, getting to the checkpoint sooner does not necessarily help you reclaim HOPE, because you must have a 3.0 HOPE GPA.

  • A: If the course is a graduation requirement, you must return to your high school to complete all or a portion of the class not fulfilled through your course work at Kennesaw State University. If you preregister for a KSU class that requires the course you failed as a pre-requisite, you must drop the class during the Drop/Add period.

  • A: Email all of your instructors and the DEP director to notify them and inquire about the impact of the absence on your grade. Policies for attendance, missed exams, and make-up work should be listed on every instructors’ syllabus.

  • A: You will need to complete a readmission form and send a new high school transcripts showing Fall semester grades. We will provide information about readmitting as a freshman at your fall advising session in October. We will host an advising session for readmitting students in February.

  • A: Log on to Owl Express, click on Student Records, and then Request Printed/Official Transcript. An online form will appear that you will need to complete.

  • A: Since your courses were taken prior to high school graduation, most colleges prefer that you apply as a freshman. This also ensures that you will be considered for scholarships earmarked for freshmen. If you have earned more than 30 credit hours in dual enrollment, you should inquire with your school of choice as to how they would prefer you apply.

  • A: No. Dual Enrollment students receive Dual Enrollment funding prior to high school graduation, and full HOPE benefits after high school graduation.

  • A: As a fully-accredited university, KSU’s credits are accepted by virtually all public colleges and universities in the United States, and by most private colleges and universities. Students considering private colleges should inquire with them about their policy for accepting dual enrollment credits.