Choosing / Changing Your Major

Whether you’re currently considered “undeclared” or just wondering if your original major doesn’t fit as well as you’d like, remember that this is the time to explore different opportunities that will be the best fit for your skills, abilities and values.

Many students change majors at least once during their college career. If you are considering changing your major, or even if you are sure that you know what major is best for you, we suggest you review the steps below.

How to Explore New Majors

  • Assess your personal characteristics
  • What are your interests?
  • What are your abilities?
  • What are your values?
  • What are the types of jobs these majors will help you qualify for upon graduation?
  • How many semester hours of coursework will it take to graduate with a bachelor's degree?
  • Do you have the ability to handle math and/or science-intensive majors?
  • Is foreign language required in these majors?
  • What cumulative GPA is required for admission to these majors?
  • Do certain majors require standardized testing or a portfolio to gain entry into the program?

If you are unsure of which major you are interested in, you may want to meet with an advisor at Owl Advising to discuss options.

How to declare a major (or minor)

A student may declare their major at any time during the semester by simply following the steps below.

  • Log onto Owl Express.
  • Select the Student Records tab
  • Select the Declare or Change Major/Minor option.
  • This will open a form which will allow you to make changes to your major/minor
  • Please allow 5-10 business days for processing your change.  You can return to this site at any time to check the status of your request.


A minor is typically 15-credit hours or five classes in a specific subject. These courses are usually taken junior and senior year. Contact the department to meet with an advisor to discuss the required courses for each minor.