Thrive offers students the opportunity to participate in programs and events prior to the start of college, during their first year and beyond the first year, giving them advance preparation for the journey ahead. This includes participation in the following required events.
BEFORE FIRST YEAR
Pre-registration and Advising Workshops
- These unique, two-hour workshops are led by the Thrive Graduation Coaches and current students. Only accepted Thrive students are invited to attend.
- All Pre-registration Workshops will be held on the Kennesaw Campus.
- Each workshop includes:
- An overview of the differences between high school and college.
- A comprehensive discussion of General Education and major specific requirements, how to graduate in four years, and the registration process.
- Save the date:
- Business majors: April 25
- Nursing majors: April 29
- Science, Mathematics, and Computing & Software Engineering majors: April 30
- Undeclared majors: May 1
- Humanities and Social Sciences, Integrative Studies, and Human Services majors: May 2
- Note: Students who live more than 2 hours away may opt to complete their workshop
the night before Orientation, May 30 from 6:00-8:00 pm. (Tentative date and time)
- Thrive students must attend the designated early KSU Orientation date to register for fall 2019 classes.
- Students who are registered for other KSU Orientation dates will be switched to this date.
- Parent attendance is optional and requires an additional fee. Please note that space for parents is limited, so early reservations are encouraged.
- Save the date:
- Friday, May 31st, 7:30 am-5:00 pm, Kennesaw Campus
- This university preparation conference is the only one of its kind at KSU and is only open to Thrive students.
- The conference incorporates team-building and provides students:
- A chance to get to know the campus.
- The opportunity to meet Thrive faculty, staff, and students.
- A hands-on approach to learning academic strategies for college success.
- Save the date:
- Friday, July 12th, 8:30 am-5:00 pm, Kennesaw Campus
First Semester (August-December 2019)
- Thrive required programming in fall 2019 is comprised of:
- Enrollment in a Thrive Learning Community, which includes the KSU 1101 course and at least one General Education course.
- Monthly Graduation Coaching appointments.
- By utilizing these resources, Thrive students gain confidence, learn time management and academic strategies, and begin getting involved in extracurricular activities. Students accomplish this while earning key credits toward obtaining their degree.
Second Semester (January-May 2020)
- Students are supported through continued access to their Thrive Graduation Coach as they begin their major coursework. Only one appointment is required in the second semester.
- Students also have the option of earning graduation cords by attending a Thrive Recognition Program Workshop during this semester.
BEYOND FIRST YEAR
- Program requirements only apply through the student’s first year. All program resources remain available but are not required after this key period of transition.
- Students typically continue to utilize their Graduation Coach as they strategically plan each semester, including career preparation.
- Students have the option of earning graduation cords through the Thrive Recognition Program. To earn cords, students complete relevant college and career requirements over the course of their time at KSU. See Thrive Recognition Program for more information.