Thrive offers students the opportunity to participate in programs and events prior to the start of college, during their first year and beyond the first year, giving them advance preparation for the journey ahead. This includes participation in the following required events.
BEFORE FIRST YEAR
COVID-19 NOTICE: Kennesaw State has cancelled all on-campus events this Spring and Summer. Because of this, the workshops below are being held online. Please continue checking your KSU email for updates.
College Success and Registration Preparation Workshop
- These unique, two-hour workshops are led by the Thrive staff and current students on the Kennesaw Campus.
- Each workshop includes:
- An overview of the differences between high school and college
- How to prepare for college success
- A comprehensive discussion of General Education and how it relates to major-specific requirements, how to graduate in four years, and what to expect during the class registration process for Fall 2020
- A look at fall classes, so you can prepare to register at Orientation in the summer.
UP! Summer Series
- This university preparation series is the only one of its kind at KSU and is only open to Thrive students.
- The series provides students:
- A chance to become more familiar with the campus and its resources.
- The opportunity to meet Thrive faculty, staff, and students.
- A hands-on approach to learning academic strategies for college success.
- Save the dates:
o Various weekdays throughout June and July.
First Semester (August-December 2020)
- Thrive required programming in Fall 2020 is comprised of:
- Enrollment in a Thrive Learning Community, which includes the PERS 2700 course and at least two General Education courses that the students need to complete their degree
- Two to three college coaching appointments.
- By utilizing these resources, Thrive students gain confidence, learn time management and academic strategies, and begin getting involved in extracurricular activities. Students accomplish this while earning key credits toward obtaining their degree.
Second Semester (January-May 2021)
- Students are supported through continued access to their Thrive college coach as they begin their major coursework. Only one appointment is required in the second semester.
- Students who are struggling with their transition to college, evidenced by GPAs at risk of losing HOPE, will attend additional coaching appointments and workshops, to further support their success at KSU.
- Students are also able to start earning graduation cords during this semester.
BEYOND FIRST YEAR
- Program requirements only apply through the student’s first year. All program resources remain available, but are not required, after this key period of transition.
- The Thrive class in D2L, KSU’s class management system, is an on-going resource with content for college success and links to key campus resources.
- Students are able to continue meeting with their college coach as they plan and work together toward short and long-term goals.
- Students have the option of earning graduation cords through the Thrive Recognition Program. To earn cords, students complete relevant college and career requirements over the course of their time at KSU. See Thrive Recognition Program for more information.